Board Meeting Highlights - November, 27, 2018
At its November 27th meeting, The FUSD Board of Education:
- Appointed Trisha Johnson as Principal of Green Elementary School
- Approved Tentative Agreements between Fremont Unified School District and the California School Employees Association
- Authorized Staff to Enter into Child Care Joint-Use Agreements with YMCA for Cabrillo, Green, and Marshall Elementary Schools - Board authorized entering into joint-use agreement with the YMCA for before and after school child care services at Marshall Elementary School. This recommendation will generate approximately $38,400 per year in rental income. Staff further recommends Board authorization to enter into joint-use agreements for before and after school child care services at Cabrillo and Green Elementary Schools by constructing modular buildings on each site and renting the facilities to YMCA through standard facility rental fees, with escalation costs built in. Staff estimates approximately $780,788 in project costs to construct modular classrooms at Cabrillo and Green Elementary Schools. Once the construction is completed, this recommendation will generate approximately $76,800 per year in rental income. Overall, the net fiscal impact of this recommendation is $665,588. (Board votes 5-0 to authorize staff to enter into child care joint-use agreements with YMCA for Cabrillo, Green, and Marshall Elementary Schools. Amended to stipulate that YMCA will pay for construction costs at Cabrillo and Green and FUSD will allow payment of a $1/year for a period of 5 years; Marshall will remain the same.)
- Received Presentation on the Progress of the Homework Policy and Approved Revisions to the First Reading of Board Policy 6154 and Review Administrative Regulation - The C&I Advisory Committee met monthly starting January 2017 through February 2018. During this time, participants were involved in researching and gathering data from parents and teachers. Surveys were sent to parents, teachers and students and results were shared with the Curriculum & Instruction Advisory Committee. Revisions were made to Board Policy 6154 regarding elementary homework minutes. The Board Policy was further revised to provide a better understanding of how homework should be connected to classroom instruction and how homework should help students become self-directed, self-disciplined, and independent learners, thus improving their immediate learning as well as their long-term academic achievement. Changes to the Administrative Regulation have been made according to FUSD current procedures. See presentation here.
- Dedication of Building at Lila Bringhurst Elementary - Board approved the dedication of a Lila Bringhurst Elementary School building to former Superintendent, James Morris, who retired at the end of June 2017 after seven years of service to Fremont Unified and was instrumental in bringing the facility to south Fremont.
- Authorized Staff to Amend the Facilities Lease Agreement with McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. for Completion of the Work of Improvement of Bid Package 005 for the New Construction Project at Horner Middle School (Middle School Conversion) and Authorize Additional Funding - The Board authorized staff to amend the facilities lease agreement with McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. in the amount of $21,522,218 for completion of the work of improvement of Bid Package 5 for the new construction project at Horner Middle School (HMS). This bid package includes all remaining components not completed in bid packages 1-4. This amount was competitively bid by the Lease-leaseback entity. The work is subject to the provisions of Project Stabilization Agreement. The District received bids on all five phased increments for the new construction project at HMS. Based on the total amount of the bids, there is a shortfall in the project budget of $30,588,162. The Board authorized staff to allocate this amount from the Measure E program contingency and fund the balance from the budgeted amounts for projects that have not yet started.
- Authorized Staff to Amend the Consultant Services Agreement with The Solis Group to Administer the Project Stabilization Agreement - The Board authorized staff to amend the consultant services agreement with The Solis Group in the amount of $180,786 to administer the Project Stabilization Agreement (PSA). Solis has provided a proposal for PSA administration services to complete the two remaining IT upgrade projects not completed under the original agreement and nine new projects. Staff will bring a future amendment to the Board for the PSA administration for future Measure E projects, including the new construction and modernization projects at Centerville, Hopkins, and Thornton middle schools.
- Authorized Staff to Enter into an Agreement with QKA for Architectural Services for the New Construction Project at the Williamson Property Site - The Board authorized staff to enter into negotiations with Quattrocchi Kwok Architects (QKA) for architectural services for the new construction project at the Williamson property site, in accordance with provision 13.8 of the Land Conveyance Agreement. This provision stipulates that the District shall procure a design team and begin the design of the school facility by November 2018. The project will be paid for from the Special Fund for Capital Outlay Projects (Sale of Site Funds). (Board votes 5-0 to authorize staff to enter into negotiations with QKA for architectural services for the new construction project at the Williamson property site.)
- Authorized Staff to Amend the Agreement with Rodan Builders, Inc. for the New Construction Project at Walters Middle School (Middle School Conversion) - The Board authorized staff to amend the agreement with Rodan Builders, Inc.in the amount of $293,247 for the new construction project at Walters Middle School. During pre-construction, the project was delayed substantially by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). To ensure a fall 2019 schedule, the project was bid without the covered walkways and ornamental fencing as there was uncertainty about these items receiving DTSC approval. DTSC has since approved those items and this amendment will fund their construction as well as colored concrete in a portion of the central courtyard, a water bottle filling station in the new building, and other minor modifications to the courtyard layout. The total contract is now $17,877,047, which is within the budget for the project.
- Approved Proposed Amendment to the Superintendent Employment Agreement - On April 12, 2017, the Board of Education took action to appoint Dr. Kim Wallace as the Superintendent of Fremont Unified School District. The contract covered the period from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2019, at an annual base salary of $295,000. It is proposed to maintain all existing terms in the Superintendent’s employment agreement, including compensation of $295,000, and that the contract be extended through June 30, 2020.
See Video of entire meeting here
The Board’s next Regular Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 12th, 6:00pm (time subject to change), at the District Office Board Room – 4210 Technology Dr. – in Fremont.