Skip to main content

Developer Fees FAQ

(Frequently Asked Questions)

  1. Where do I pay my developer fees?
    Payments are made at the District Office located at 4210 Technology Drive, Fremont, in the Accounting Department, Room 230, from Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

  2. What do I need to bring with me at the time of payment?
    a) A completed Certificate of Compliance provided by the City of Fremont’s Community Development Department [↗] (CDD). Section I is completed by the Owner/Developer, Section II is completed and signed by the City of Fremont’s Representative, and Section III is completed by Fremont Unified School District (FUSD) staff at the time of payment.
    b) A check payable to Fremont Unified School District.

  3. Can payments be made with a credit card?
    No. Payments cannot be made with a credit card. FUSD accepts checks ONLY.

  4. Who determines the square footage of a project?
    Square footage (scope of project) is determined by the City of Fremont’s CDD based on calculation of assessable space and/or chargeable covered and enclosed space.

  5. What constitutes assessable space and/or chargeable covered and enclosed space?
    a) For residential - Assessable space is all of the square footage within the perimeter of a residential structure, not including any carport, covered or uncovered walkway, garage, overhang, patio, enclosed patio, detached accessory structure, or similar area. Assessable space includes the square footage of enclosed walkways, such as hallways inside the perimeter of a residential structure.
    b) For commercial/industrial - Chargeable Covered and Enclosed Space is Square footage of the covered and enclosed space determined to be within the perimeter of a commercial or industrial structure, not including any storage areas incidental to the principal use of the construction, garage, parking structure, unenclosed walkway, or utility or disposal area.

  6. How is the developer fee owed to FUSD calculated?
    The developer fee owed to FUSD is calculated at the current rate in effect at the time an owner/developer presents the Certificate of Compliance issued by the City of Fremont’s CDD. Residential additions of 500 sq. ft. or less are exempt from developer fee. For additions greater than 500 sq. ft., fees are calculated for the entire square footage of the addition.

  7. How often do rates change and how are the rates determined?
    FUSD evaluates the rates every year (approximately every April or May). The rates are determined based on studies that include State Allocation Board information, demographic data, and statistical analysis of projected impacts of future development on the District.

  8. Does the Certificate of Compliance have an expiration date?
    The Certificate of Compliance expires six (6) months from the date of issuance which is the date when the District receives payment. An owner/developer has six (6) months from the date of issuance to acquire a building permit from the City of Fremont’s CDD.

  9. What if the Certificate of Compliance expires?
    If the building permit is not issued prior to the date of expiration of the Certificate of Compliance, Owner/Developer shall take all steps necessary to obtain a new Certificate of Compliance for the project, and shall pay to FUSD the current fees owed, if any, before obtaining the building permit. District shall allow Owner/Developer a credit against the fee adjustment for fees previously paid for the project for which the expired Certificate of Compliance was issued.

  10. Is there a credit for demolished property?
    Fees are assessed for the difference between new construction and demolished square footage. City of Fremont’s CDD will determine the square footage to be charged.

  11. Does FUSD process refunds?
    If a project is cancelled or reduced, FUSD will process refunds upon receiving documented verification from the City of Fremont’s CDD. Refunds are only made to the original payee. Refund checks are mailed directly to the address provided.

  12. Who do I contact for additional questions?
    Please contact Linda Letsinger, Accounting Department at (510) 659-2577.

Developer Fees FAQ 2017 (pdf of this information)