Dress Code Policy
Our dress code is designed to provide for student safety and to avoid unnecessary disruptions in the classroom. No dress code can address every issue. The school reserves the right to prohibit any clothing item that has the potential to cause a disruption on campus. School administrators will be the final arbiters of compliance with the dress code.
Listed below are some general guidelines that parents can use to help their students to comply with the dress code. The complete dress code is defined in the FUSD Parent Handbook.
- No gang related attire allowed,. Specifically, we prohibit the wearing of RED OR ROYAL BLUE shirts, hats, shoelaces, backpacks, or other items. These items will be confiscated.
- Bandanas, hairnets, and "do rags" of any color are prohibited.
- Reminder, only John F. Kennedy Hats are allowed on campus.
- Clothing that depicts or advertises the use of tobacco, alcohol, weapons, or controlled substances or makes sexual innuendos is prohibited.
- Clothing expressing hate or intolerance towards any group (i.e. ethnic, racial, sexual orientation) is prohibited.
- Clothing that reveals undergarments is prohibited.
- Girls may not wear tube tops, strapless top, or halter tops.
- Boys must a t-shirt with sleeves; tank tops or basketball jerseys are allowed without a regular t-shirt underneath. Ribbed white tank tops ("wife beaters") are considered underwear and must be covered by a shirt.
Students found to be in violation of the dress code will either have to change clothes immediately, be sent home, or spend the day in the Responsibility Center. Repeat Offenders will be suspended from school for defiance.