Language is the most essential form of communication among human beings.
“As we become a technical society, our world becomes smaller as we interact with people of other nations. Our businesses and government will rely on individuals who are linguistically competent and culturally sophisticated to negotiate international transactions.” (State Framework for Foreign Language Instruction)
This quote stresses the benefits of learning another language. Our students have the opportunity to accomplish this in the early grades. They will not just study a second language; they will live it, experience it, and use it, so that it will become part of them.
Benefits of Spanish Immersion
- Prepare to meet the challenges of a global society
- Become bilingual and biliterate
- Be exposed to other cultures and languages
- Enjoy career advantages
- Interact with students of various backgrounds
- Raise self-esteem
What is Spanish Immersion?
Immersion education is an alternative educational model designed to provide students with fluency and literacy in two languages. In this program, all students develop literacy in Spanish first, with gradual addition of English.
All students in the Immersion Program receive the same curriculum as all students throughout the District, except that initially they are taught in Spanish for most of the day. English is taught daily and the students are encouraged to interact in both languages.
Students in the Immersion Program will:
- Develop fluency and literacy in Spanish and English
- Achieve proficiency in all academic subjects, meeting or exceeding state and district standards
- Cultivate an understanding and appreciation of other cultures, and develop positive attitudes towards fellow students, their families, and their community
Is Spanish Immersion Right for Your Child?
- Do you have bilingualism, biliteracy, and diversity?
- Does your child have a strong foundation in English?
- Does your child need challenges?
- Do you want your child to have a linguistic edge in tomorrow’s market economy?
- Are you willing to make a long-term commitment to the Immersion Program?
If you answered "yes” to these questions then this may be just the program for your child!