Comprehensive Health, Puberty, and Sexuality Education Task Force
UPDATE 12/11/18 - Task Force will conclude on January 7, 2019. The curriculum recommendation will be presented to the Board of Education on January 16, 2019.
Parent Information Sessions
Comprehensive Health, Puberty, and Sexual Education (CHPSE)
History: Last year, the Fremont Unified School District Board of Trustees convened a task force to consider curriculum options for teaching comprehensive health, puberty, and sexual education in grades 4-9. The Task Force will be making a recommendation to the Board on January 16, 2019.
The same topics will be covered in each session:
• History and Processes of the Task Force
• Overview of recommended program
• Next steps
Wednesday, January 9, 9:30-11:30 am
Wednesday, January 9, 6:30-8:30 pm
Saturday, January 12, 9:30-11:30 am
Location: North Entrance of FUSD District Office, 4210 Technology Drive, Fremont
There will be copies of the proposed curriculum available for review.
All attendees will be able to submit written questions for consideration. This assures equal access for everyone, regardless of which room they are seated in.
It is our goal to accommodate everyone at each session. However, once our rooms reach capacity, additional people may be turned away.
This Board-commissioned Task Force will understand the California State Standards for Health Education and the California Healthy Youth Act (2016) to prepare them to review, evaluate, analyze, and recommend a legally-compliant, medically accurate, and age appropriate Comprehensive Health, Puberty, & Sexuality Education curriculum and/or instructional guides for grades 4-9 starting in the 2018-19 school year. As stakeholders, this Brown Act-compliant Task Force’s responsibility is to advise and give input into the District’s Comprehensive Health, Puberty, & Sexuality Education instructional guides and/or curriculum adoption. The task force shall:
- Regularly convene between July 2018-January 2019 for a minimum of eight (8) total meetings.
- Review the California Content Standards on Comprehensive Health, Puberty, & Sexuality Education, Legislative requirements in the 2016 California Healthy Youth Act, and any other applicable and relevant laws/education codes/board policies.
- Research, review, and recommend existing, available, and legally-compliant Comprehensive Health, Puberty, & Sexuality Education grades 4-9 instructional guides and/or curriculum to be adopted and implemented in the 2018-19 school year.
- Submit their recommendation for approval at the January 16, 2019 regular meeting of the Board.
The members of the Comprehensive Health, Puberty, & Sexuality Education Task Force will serve a minimum of a six-month term. The membership of the Committee should reflect the diversity of the community and the student body.
Applicants must be able to attend all meetings.
* Please note: Most Committee meetings will be held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month, beginning at 5:00 p.m. ending no later than 6:30 p.m.