MSJHS General Athletic InformationThe MSJHS athletic department offers over 26 athletic teams throughout the year. We offer opportunities to tryout for an athletic team in the Fall, Winter and Spring. The following is a list of those teams offered during each season.
- Fall (August to November): Cheer, Cross Country, Girls Tennis, Gymnastics, Girls Golf, Girls Volleyball, Boys & Girls Water Polo. Because this season starts before school begins, students should contact the Athletic Director for information ASAP. The phone # and email are listed below.
- Winter (November to February): Girls & Boys Soccer, Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Wrestling and Cheer.
- Spring (February to May): Track & Field, Baseball, Softball, Boys Golf, Boys Volleyball, Boys & Girls Swimming, Co-Ed Badminton, Boys Tennis.
All teams practice everyday. Most practice right after school from approximately 3-5 pm, some practice later in the evening depending on the availability of facilities. All student-athletes who make the team are expected to attend all practices, games and post-season competitions. Joining an athletic team is a privilege and student-athletes are expected to represent MSJHS with the highest values of sportsmanship and ethical behavior as set forth by the MVAL, CIF and NCS.
Most teams play games once or twice a week in league competition. Our league consist of the five Fremont schools as well as James Logan and Newark Memorial H.S. The league schedules can be found at : www.themval.org. There are also possible weekend games / tournaments depending on the sport. All team members are expected to attend these as well.
In order to help maintain our athletic program, the athletic department as well as each team will ask for donations. Some of these donations are a one time donation. The following is a list of donations we currently ask for: We ask that the MSJHS athletic fee and FUSD Coaching be donated for each sport your son / daughter joins.
- MSJHS Athletic Fee: $50.00
- FUSD Coaching Donation: $50.00
- Boosters Membership (one per family) $ 75.00
All student-athletes must have current physical to hand in to the coach BEFORE they tryout for any team. No student-athlete will be allowed to tryout until the coach has this important document on file. The physical form as well as other forms may be downloaded off the MSJHS web site. We recommend your son or daughter obtain a physical ASAP. Make copies if they are going to tryout for various sport teams.
Information regarding teams and tryouts will be listed in the student bulletin. Students may also contact the Tom Thomsen, Athletic Director: email@example.com for any other information. They may also call the athletic office at 510-770-0136. All freshman students will have a short athletic orientation during their PE class the first week of school.