Both teachers and parents want students in school every day so that our students achieve their maximum potential. Because student attendance is a top priority, the Mattos staff carefully monitors attendance and holds students and parents accountable for good attendance.
- California State Law and the Fremont Unified School District rules require attendance at school. Parents must call the school on the first day of a student's absence. If the school does not receive a phone call, the school will call the parent each day to verify the absence. If a parent is reached, the student does not need to bring a note from home.
- If a parent is not reached, the student must bring a note to the attendance office upon return to school or the absence will be unexcused.
- Students who have a pattern of excessive excused or unexcused absences will be contacted by the principal, who will work with the parent and student to reduce the absences. If this does not remedy the problem, options such as Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) or alternative programs and schools may be pursued.
- Students who are absent from school more than eight days a year exceed the district average. Students who miss more that 15 days are subject to contact by the Fremont Unified School District Child Welfare and Attendance Office.
Kinds of Absences
California State Law defines three types of student absences.
- Excused Absences ALL absences affect state funding. The state only funds positive attendance.
The following are excused absences:
- funeral - immediate family
- medical appointment
- court appearance
- observance of religious holiday
- employment conference
- Unexcused Absences Students who are out of town, caring for a sick relative, or absent for any other reason except those absences listed above, have unexcused absences.
- Truancies Absences without parent permission. Any student who is absent from school without parent or school permission for more than three days in one year is a truant.
Teachers must allow students to make up tests and assignments missed during excused absences and field trips. Students are to have one day to make up work for every day of excused absence. Teachers are not required to provide make-up work for unexcused absences, truancies, or suspensions.
The Mattos Elementary School plan for increasing student attendance includes:
- Careful monitoring of student absences
- Systematic notification of parents
- Administrative contact with home and student
- Discipline consequences for tardies and truancies
- Review boards as needed
Students who will be absent for FIVE days or more are eligible to complete an Independent Study Packet and receive excused absence status if the assigned work is completed. Parents are asked to come to the Mattos office at least five days before the absence to make arrangements for the Independent Study Packet. Teachers will then make provisions for the make-up work.
Students who attend school every day will receive perfect attendance awards each trimester and at the end of the year.
Students who maintain exemplary citizenship will receive citizenship awards each trimester and at the end of the school year.
On Campus Notes
- Supervision is not available on campus before 8:15 a.m. or after 3:00 p.m.
- Students are not allowed on campus prior to 8:15 a.m.
- Students must be picked up promptly at their dismissal time and go home at the end of the school day. They may not return to school before 4:15 p.m.