Homework is an integral part of the educational program of the students at Brookvale Elementary School and will be assigned on a regular basis. Parent-supported homework should help students become self-directed self- disciplined and independent learners, thus improving their immediate learning as well as their long-term academic achievement. The staff at Brookvale believes in the development of the whole child and the importance of extracurricular activities, play, and socialization. Homework prepares students for new material, reinforces academic learning, and expands upon classroom instruction. It creates new understanding, building a sense of responsibility in students for their own education, and informs/involves parents and guardians.
I. Timelines and procedures regarding review, correcting and return of homework:
· Students will independently work on assigned homework and be expected to return with the completed assignment/task on the following school day or when due. Teacher will review orally with the class while students self correct or peer correct homework.
II. Frequency of homework:
· Homework will be assigned four times per week on Monday through Thursday.
III. Duration of minutes for homework:
· 4th grade homework will be approximately 30 - 45 minutes per evening or 120 180 minutes per week. This includes independent reading.
IV. Type of homework opportunities:
· Standard based questioning/reasoning and thinking
· Worksheets and study skills
· Project based assignments
· Reading and Math
V. Percentage of overall grade in which homework encompasses:
· 5% of the students grade will encompass the students overall grade each trimester.
VI. Individual/ long term/major homework assignments
· California Landforms Map
· Science Fair Project
· California History Report
VII. Absence/makeup policy:
· Students with excused absences are allotted the same number of days of the absence to complete work.
Last Modified on September 17, 2010