I. Timelines and procedures regarding review, correcting and return of homework:
· Students will independently work on assigned homework and be expected to return with the completed task/assignment the following school day. The teacher will review orally with the class the task/assignment while students self-correct the homework.
· Homework is always an extension of concepts taught in class that day.
II. Frequency of homework:
· Homework will be given on a daily basis (Monday through Thursday).
· Occasionally students will be given an individual/ long term/ major homework assignment with an extended completion due date. Students are only expected to work on this assignment Monday through Thursday.
III. Duration of minutes for homework:
· Third grade homework will be approximately 30-45 minutes each evening (Monday through Thursday).
· Students are expected to read for 20+ minutes each night as part of the total required minutes above (20 minutes reading + 10-25 minutes additional tasks/assignments).
IV. Type of homework opportunities:
· Independent reading. Students are encouraged to read both silently and orally at home. Oral reading at home is a good way to determine a students general progress during the school year.
· Language arts review/practice worksheets and study skills
· Math review/practice worksheets and study skills
V. Percentage of overall grade in which homework encompasses:
· Up to 5% of the students overall grade for each trimester will be based on homework completion.
VI. Individual/ long term/major homework assignments:
· Book Report: Friendship
· Biography Project
· Heritage Project
· Money Research Project
· Native American Research Project
VII. Absence/makeup policy:
· Students with excused absences are allotted the same number of days of the absence to complete work.
***There are a multitude of websites, workbooks, and extra curricular materials that can be found if a parent desires additional homework for their child. Please review 3rd grade content standards for guidelines in choosing additional materials.
Some possible suggestions could include the following Scholastic titles:
Reading and Math Jumbo Workbook (ISBN 0-439-78602-9)
Get Ready for 4th Grade (ISBN 0-439-60628-4)