GRADE 2 -
Homework is an integral part of the educational program of the students at Brookvale Elementary School and will be assigned on a regular basis. Parent-supported homework should help students become self-directed self disciplined and independent learners, thus improving their immediate learning as well as their long-term academic achievement. The staff at Brookvale believes in the development of the whole child and the importance of extracurricular activities, play, and socialization. Homework prepares students for new material, reinforces academic learning, and expands upon classroom instruction. It creates new understanding, building a sense of responsibility in students for their own education, and informs/involves parents and guardians.
I. Timelines and procedures regarding review, correcting and return of homework:
· Students will be given a homework packet each Monday which should be returned on Friday. After your child completes their packet, please circle their errors and have them correct their mistakes before returning the packet in their homework folder. Homework will be returned in the Thursday folder of the following week.
II. Frequency of homework:
· In the beginning of the year, homework packets will be sent home each Monday to be returned on Friday. As the year progresses, homework may be assigned nightly.
III. Duration of minutes for homework:
· 2nd grade homework will be approximately 10-30 minutes per evening, or 40-120 minutes per week
IV. Type of homework opportunities:
· Daily reading
· Family projects
· Extra credit reports
V. Percentage of overall grade in which homework encompasses:
· In the primary grades, report cards are standards based. Second grade students will be given an O, S, or N in the section specifically for homework.
VI. Individual/ long term/major homework assignments:
· Family heritage project
· Flat Stanley Project
VII. Absence/makeup policy:
· Students with excused absences are allotted the same number of days of the absence to complete work.
Last Modified on September 17, 2010