GRADE 2 - Homework plan 2016-17
Homework is an integral part of the educational program of the students at Brookvale Elementary School and will be assigned on a regular basis. Parent-supported homework should help students become self-directed self disciplined and independent learners, thus improving their immediate learning as well as their long-term academic achievement. The staff at Brookvale believes in the development of the whole child and the importance of extracurricular activities, play, and socialization. Homework prepares students for new material, reinforces academic learning, and expands upon classroom instruction. It creates new understanding, building a sense of responsibility in students for their own education, and informs/involves parents and guardians.
I. Timelines and procedures regarding review, correcting and return of homework:
· Students will be given a daily homework assignment. This may be workbook pages, Scootpad assignments online, writing assignments, or enrichment activities. Corrected in class as needed.
II. Frequency of homework:
· Homework will be assigned nightly except on Friday's.
III. Duration of minutes for homework:
· 2nd grade homework will be approximately 10-30 minutes per evening, or 40-120 minutes per week
IV. Type of homework opportunities:
· Daily reading
· Family projects
· Scootpad Online
V. Percentage of overall grade in which homework encompasses:
· In the primary grades, report cards are standards based. Second grade students will be given an O, S, or N in the section specifically for homework.
VI. Individual/ long term/major homework assignments:
- Reading Logs
- Book reports
VII. Absence/makeup policy:
· Students with excused absences are allotted the same number of days of the absence to complete work.