GRADE 1 -
Homework is an integral part of the educational program of the students at Brookvale Elementary School and will be assigned on a regular basis. Parent-supported homework should help students become self-directed self disciplined and independent learners, thus improving their immediate learning as well as their long-term academic achievement. The staff at Brookvale believes in the development of the whole child and the importance of extracurricular activities, play, and socialization. Homework prepares students for new material, reinforces academic learning, and expands upon classroom instruction. It creates new understanding, building a sense of responsibility in students for their own education, and informs/involves parents and guardians.
I. Timelines and procedures regarding review, correcting and return of homework:
· Homework will come home on Mondays and packets are to be returned by Friday of that week.
II. Frequency of homework:
· Homework will be done Monday-Thursday
III. Duration of minutes for homework:
· 10-30 minutes per evening, 40-120 minutes per week
IV. Type of homework opportunities:
· Weekly Packet: language arts, math, science, writing, thematic projects, daily reading
V. Percentage of overall grade in which homework encompasses:
· 75% of homework turned in will reflect in a passing grade on the report card under WORK HABITS
VI. Individual/ long term/major homework assignments:
· Book reports
· Egg drop
· Student led lessons
· Student with excused absences are allotted the same number of day of the absence to complete work.
Last Modified on September 16, 2011